Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cook #4: Turkey Burgers

Cook #4 was a much more simple cook and the first time I used direct heat with just the grate. I used 93/7 lean/fat ground turkey from Costco. I seasoned it with Salt, Pepper and Ketchup. Forming the turkey into 1/3 lb patties. I figured a temp of 420 F would be a good temp to cook these at. Charcoal: I used about 60/40 new/previously burned charcoal for this cook, again making sure the firebox was filled to the top. Again, a single starter cube in the center of the lump (see below). Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Again, about 10 minutes after lighting the cube was out to give a few lit coals and the grate was added and the lid closed. Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App The temperature seemed to be a little more particular without the place setter. It seemed to be little harder to really dial in the temperature. I settled on 1 5/8" for the bottom, with the daisy wheel open to 100 %. Once the egg was pre-heated (about 5 minutes) I added the burgers. It took a little bit longer to get back to above 400 and eventually I settled on 410 F as the temp. Cooking roughly 6 minutes per side for a total of 12 minutes give or take to give the final product below. The turkey burgers were a little dry for my liking but I think that is just the nature of the meat & the fact that it's 93/7 lean. I'm used to using 80/20 ground beef when I make burgers. These were tasty & I would make them again. Although, I would use less water when making the patties. We'll be doing pizzas tomorrow so stay tuned... Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Final Settings: Charcoal: 60/40 New/Previously burned Plate Setter: None Bottom Sash: 1 5/8" Daisy Wheel: Fully Open

No comments:

Post a Comment