Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cook #1: Pulled Pork Sandwhiches

My first go around with the green egg was not necessarily what I had hoped.  I used way to much charcoal (on the advice of the guys that set up my egg, perhaps I heard him wrong or he told me wrong).  Either way, it was too much charcoal and too many starter cubes.  It made it very difficult to get the temp to around 300 F.  To make matters worse, I was told not to go above 350 as to make sure the adhesive sets on the gasket. 

After a few hours and nearly snuffing out the flame, I was finally able to get the temp to around 300 F although the gasket came up a little bit in one spot, but I was able to rescue it.  It's still not perfect but does the job just fine.  From what I understand there are a lot of egg heads that cook without a gasket.  I was able to get the pork shoulder (roughly 3.8 lbs) on and let it cook for 2 hr 45 min.  Pulled it out & shredded it and it was delicious.  Not photo worthy, but still a very important learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment